Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fremdspracheschule

Thursdays mean no Waldorfschule, so it was only the Fremdspracheshule today.  The Fremdspracheschule is kind of cool- yes, it is a little slow, but it’s neat because the class is really Deutsch being taught in Deutsch.  There’s more than a dozen languages in that class, and not even half of the class speaks English, so the teacher can’t teach in another language.  Surprisingly, though, it works.

Before taking this class- and living here- I always wondered how on earth people like Cleopatra and Squanto ever figured out enough English to speak with the settlers and Mrrs. Lewis & Clark.  I mean, it’s easy to conceive learning nouns- point and name.  But verbs, especially more abstract ones, always seemed hard to learn.  It’s possible, though!  I promise!  We even manage to have some interesting conversations- we talked, in Deutsch, along with some Greek and Latin queue words, and lots of charades, about mythology for more than half an hour.  It was fun.

After school today I went into town.  First stop was Karstadt (I hope, last time I spelled it wrong).  I had to buy some new Federballe, and I also picked up a squash ball.  Here’s a pic of the racket selection- probably nobody will appreciate this except maybe my dad, but it really is impossible to find nice badminton stuff in the US.  This isn’t even that big of a store, either!


I also bought a book of short stories- English on one page, German on the other.  We’ll see how I do with that.


My last stop was at Wandels Apotheke, a drug store.  I haven’t needed it yet, but I picked up some Vitamin D- I’ve been told that I’ll need them in the winter.  Then it started to rain, so I went home.


Also!  I tried to teach Hannes the baseline of Chameleon today.  Hannes likes everything, so he had fun.  Maybe if he gets it good we can play with it a little more.  It’s a lot of fun, playing with Hannes on his Cello.

Okay, enough for today.

Gute Nacht!

No comments:

Post a Comment