Sunday, May 16, 2010

Surfin' Safari

Wollen wir zum Strand?
Tja, aber erstmal chillen... ganz entspannt, ne?

I'm not sure how many times I heard that, but it was definitely more than a bajillion.

Nelia told me that Mrs. Janus is mad at me for not updating more often, so I'll put in just one more post tonight before bet.

On Friday we (the Hamburg/Berlin crew) went to another beach and played more volleyball.  This time, though, we went to a big Surf Fest in Pelzerhaken.  Unfortunately I don't have any photos of it, but I can tell you it was great.

See, surfing is very popular here in Germany.  Much much more popular than in Boston, in any case.  They don't have any waves, though- the Ostsee is completely flat.  They get around this by windsurfing and kitesurfing.  I could be wrong, but I don't remember either one of these being particularly popular in the US.

In any case, at this surf festival there were at least twenty vendors of boards, sails, and masts.  Everyone could try out all the new products free of charge, and the water was pretty full of surfers.  Personally, I find water pretty wet (and consequently, quite eklig), so I stayed out of it, but it looked like a good time for everyone who was there.

I met up with the other Tim and Anininine, Lasse, Christoph, and Joelle from my class, too.  They're all surfers, but they stopped in for a few rounds of volleyball.  Afterwards we had a quite lovely beach party until early in the morning.  It was one of the most ridiculous, fun times I think I've ever had- I know Annine stole my hat and wouldn't give it back, there was more volleyball, much revelry, shisha (I don't smoke),  music, and at least one existential conversation on the lifeguard tower.  Eventually we were told by the beach security that we weren't allowed on the beach after 8:00 PM, but they were cool and turned a blind eye and let us carry on.

The rest of the crew that I came up with went home around 3:00, I ended up staying there for the night with the others- at four in the morning I didn't see much point in going home.  Luckily, Tim had a seat free in his car.  It wasn't comfortable at all, but at least it was warm.

The next day was definitely a chill-day.  I don't think any of us slept too well in the car, so none of us had much energy.  I got up around 10:00 anyway (I had to stretch out a bit) and wandered the beach, and on the way back was invited to two breakfasts- one from a teacher at our school, the other from some random guy who hadn't quite sobered up from the night before.  Of course, I accepted both offers graciously.  A breakfast isn't something one should give up!

After a third breakfast with Joelli, Tim, and Annine, we spent most of the day in the back of Tim's car.  Like I said, we were pretty exhausted.  We threw open the trunk, folded up the back seat, and threw a bunch of sleeping bags in back an pretty much just sat around listening to Jack Johnson, enjoying the sea breezes and making small talk with the people who passed by- ganz gechillt, ganz entspannt.

No comments:

Post a Comment